Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth. . .

If you're like me, and I know I am, you might not read recipes carefully prior to going shopping. Then you're in the middle of baking and realize that you can't finish the recipe.

What to do?

Well, generally, it is best to go back to the store. Or find a different recipe.

But we can SUBSTITUTE. Sometimes we can even SUBSTITUTE for a SUBSTITUTE!

Here are some quick fixes for what you might be missing.

ALL SPICE: Use a mixture of half cinnamon and half cloves.

BAKER'S CHOCOLATE: You can replace an ounce with a tablespoon of Crisco and 3 Tablespoons Cocoa powder.

BUTTERMILK: You can use yogurt in most recipes, or make some buttermilk by pouring a cup of whole milk over a tablespoon of white vinegar and letting it sit for five minutes.

WHITE SUGAR: Brown sugar, just use 25% more.

Seriously, though. Nobody keeps buttermilk in their house, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment